Best Fall Books for Babies and Toddlers
Is there anything better than cuddling up with your little one on a cool, Fall day and reading sweet stories together? Not in my book. (Ha! See what I did there?) Reading is my all-time favorite hobby and Fall is my all-time favorite season, so it makes sense that I would pass that down to my son. While he already begs me to read to him, he doesn’t yet understand the awesomeness that is Fall. Now I think I’ve got that covered with this list of the best Fall books for babies and toddlers. Are you looking for Fall gifts, teaching your kiddo about seasons, or just looking for new Fall books to add to your collection? This is the list for you.
This post contains affiliate links. For more information, see my disclosures here.
Best Fall Books
- Mouse’s First Fall – This is one of the sweetest Fall books. The story is all about Mouse and his sister, Minka, enjoying a beautiful Fall day. With beautiful graphics and simple sentences, this fun book is perfect to read to small children or for new readers. (Available in Board book, Hardback, Kindle, Paperback, and Audio versions.)
- Jump into Fall! – In this fun book, you follow Bear as he plays in the leaves. With colorful art, die-cut pages, and a sing-songy story, this is one of the best new books for Fall.
- Leaves – It is a young bear’s first year and when the leaves start to fall he tries to put them back on the trees. This book is a perfect tool to teach children about leaves and about seasons. With colorful pen illustrations and childlike whimsy, this book is perfect for young audiences. (Available in Board book, Hardback, and paperback versions.)
- Fall Is Here! – If you are looking for a picture book for your little one, look no further. This book combines the unique colors of fall with wide-eyed, friendly animals. While the story is very simple, the pictures are a delight.
Best Back to School/ First Day of School Books
- School Bus – My little guy is obsessed with school buses right now. This book is right up his alley. Follow a herd of buses through their day and enjoy the simple text. I hope you like yellow! (Available in Board book, Hardback, and paperback versions.)
- My First Day at Nursery School – If your child is hesitant about going to school and being away from you, this is a great book. This little girl transitions from “I want my mommy,” to “I want to stay at nursery school.” Thanks to a full day of painting, playing, and snacks. This sets a good tone if your little one is unsure about their first day.
- Spot Goes to School – This is a great primer to get kids excited about starting school. While unsure about school at first, Spot never cries and has a fun first day of school.
- Maisy Goes to Preschool – If you want a positive, confident book that is straightforward about Preschool, this is a good pick. There is no mention of doubt, fear, or longing. Just great fun and an excellence example of what to expect when attending Preschool. (Available in Kindle, Hardcover, and Paperback versions.)
Best Halloween Books
- One, Two…Boo! – This book is a fun, flip-the-flap book that would make a great gift for Halloween. This is great for young children since it isn’t scary, but is a very beautiful, child-sized book.
- The Itsy Bitsy Pumpkin – A Halloween twist on the famous ” The Itsy Bitsy Spider,” nursery rhyme. Be careful or you will find yourself singing this song even when you aren’t around your kiddo. (Available in Kindle and Board book versions.)
- Peek-a-Boo! – A great interactive book with simple words and fun characters. A favorite for toddlers.
- The Monster at the End of This Book – I may be a bit biased since this was one of my all-time favorite books as a kid, but every kid should own a copy of this book. It’s funny, engaging, and helps alleviate fears that tend to creep up around Halloween. (Available in Kindle, Hardcover and Board book versions.)
Best Thanksgiving Books
- Biscuit Is Thankful – Biscuit is such a sweet series of books and Biscuit is Thankful is no exception. Teach kids the meaning of thankfulness this holiday season with this simple and adorable book about a grateful puppy. (Available in Board book, Hardback, Kindle, and Paperback versions.)
- Turkey Time! – This simple, rhyming book is a great guide to the wonder of a Thanksgiving feast and is a memorable holiday classic. (Available in Board book and Kindle versions.)
- Five Silly Turkeys – This adorable counting book has crinkly feathers on the pages so you can keep tabs on how many turkeys are left as you progress through the story. The rhyming and silliness of the story is a delight.
- Happy Thanksgiving, Curious George – The classic Curious George is paired with a unique book. Each page is a poem describing the joys of Thanksgiving. This book is longer than most and has delightful tabs to help little fingers help turn pages. (Available in Board book and Kindle versions.)
Best Touch and Feel Fall Books
- I Love Fall! – A great book with tons of unique textures and beautiful illustrations. Make sure you feel Grandma’s pie pan because that’s our favorite.
- Fall – A simple book with one word per page, this touch and feel book is best for the younger crowd. Be sure to check out the other seasons in this series too. They all go together nicely.
- I Love to Gobble You Up! – “If kisses were gobbles, I’d gobble you up!” My son and I love reading through this book as I replace kisses with gobbles and pretend to eat him up. This is a fun, simple story with a sweet message.
- Biscuit’s Pet & Play Halloween – Can you tell we love Biscuit? If you have a little one obsessed with puppies then Fall book this is a great addition to your collection. The textures are so engaging that my little guy loves “reading” this book by himself.
Best Finger Puppet Fall Books
All the books in this series are very sturdy and sweet. Follow along with the characters and delight your tots with these sweet puppets. There are so many books in this collection that you can grab one for each season or collect them all!
Best Lift-the-Flap Fall Books
- Baby Loves Fall! – From the bestselling author of Where Is Baby’s Belly Button?, Karen Katz is the master of Lift-the-Flap books. This great book has easy to lift, durable flaps and vibrant illustrations.
- Where Is Baby’s Pumpkin? – Help Baby find her pumpkin and discover some fun surprises along the way. This is another Karen Katz classic, I would seriously own all of her books if I had unlimited funds. For now, I’ll try to be content with just her Fall books.
- I Love You, Little Pumpkin! – With a cute message and sweet illustration, this book is a great gift for Fall. The fluffy pumpkin and surprise mirror are both favorites.
- The First Thanksgiving – This is a great introduction story for small children. Simple and interactive, this book teaches the story of the first Thanksgiving without being overwhelming.
Best Kindle Fall Books
If you don’t already have the FREE Kindle Reading App, I strongly recommend grabbing it. I have it on my phone and my tablet. It is a life-saver when we are stuck in a long line at the grocery store or at a restaurant waiting for our food.
- The Busy Little Squirrel – This is one of the most charming fall books. I love that it shows the value of hard work without being harsh. We have a lot of squirrels where we live and its fun to watch my son to connect the book with the critters outside too. (Available in Board book, Hardback, and Kindle versions.)
- My Friend is a Dinosaur – Michael’s First Day of School – This Fall book teaches children to overcome their fears surrounding new and lonely situations. (Available in Paperback and Kindle versions.)
- Llama Llama Trick or Treat – Geared for the younger toddlers, this book is an awesome addition to the Halloween book collection. (Available in Board book and Kindle versions.)
- Thanksgiving Parade – Cute illustrations dominate this book and make it a good read during Thanksgiving festivities. (Available in Board book and Kindle versions.)
(If you love reading Kindle books as much as I do, you should definitely give Kindle Unlimited a try. With over a million books available, you’ll never run out of reading material. Click to Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial Now.)
While there isn’t quite a book for every day of Autumn on this list, but I know you and your kiddo will find a few favorites on this list. So grab some blankets, pick a few Fall books, and snuggle in for the season.
Now it’s your turn, hit me up on Facebook and let me know your favorite Fall books.
If you loved this post you won’t want to miss my roundup of Best Toys for One Year Old Boys.